Monday, May 29, 2006

Borobudur

There's something that happens when you have a personal connection to news from around the world. Most of the time, a report of a violent uprising or a natural disaster in some far-off region of the globe is filtered into the back of your mind where it quickly becomes a distant memory.

But last week's 6.2 earthquake near Yogyakarta on the island of Java meant something to me. 25 miles outside of this crowded, dirty city lies Borobodur, the largest Buddhist monument in the world.



I had visited Borobudur in 1990, while on a 3 month backpacking trip through New Zealand and up to the Far East. This huge monument, built in 750-842 AD, is nestled in the middle of a quiet forest on top of a hill and is the most spiritual religious place I have ever seen. It's scale is unfathomable, but like any great piece of architecture, no matter where you are, you feel intimate and "at one" with your surroundings.

While I've heard their was little damage to the structure, I picture all of the 72 Buddha statues sitting inside of their bell shaped stupas and looking out at the ruined world below. Buddhist philosophy says that reaching into these stupas and touching the Buddhas brings good luck. Since I can't be there, I'll send this electronic wish.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right there with you on this, Lou. I've been there, too, and can't stand the thought of losing the magic of the place...even to the big magic of exploding mountains and molten rock and whatever gods are in charge of all that stuff!
By the way...I LOVE your blog!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home