Sunday, April 23, 2006

Old Fashioned Cooking



I picked up a Lodge cast-iron skillet the other day (that's Mr. Lodge in the picture above). Have wanted one for a long time but have been hampered by memories of the one my father owned that developed a nice layer of rust speckles all over it (most likely due to the fact that he wouldn't know how to wash a dish if his life -- or anyone else's-- depended on it).

Yes, memories of this pan and the meals he continued to make even after it's transformation have kept me from actually getting another. Whenever I thought about it, I would get this funny metallic taste in my mouth.

But I have heard chefs speak about them for years -- how they help to bring out the flavor of everything and how you don't need any oil and the likes and so easy to clean, blahblahblah.

So I heated up the pan (after seasoning it, of course. You do know you have to season it first) and waited until water droplets did their little crazy mariachi dances across the surface. (God I love that). And then I put some chicken breasts that I've been marinating in Korean BBQ sauce for a day in and they immedately jump up for a second and say "what, you gotta be kidding" before falling back down and charring in seconds. Now most of the time, I can tell when things are done, but this was a whole new world, so I used my second favorite new cooking utensil -- my Instant Read Digital Cooking Thermometer that I got the from the good folks over at King Arthur Flour. Best item I've gotten in years.

So I finish the chicken, let it rest, and take the pan to the sink. It's not as easy as they say in the books and videos -- you've got to doa fair amount of scrubbing to get that stuff off. There's got to be a better way. Anybody know?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't wash. Just scrape off the chunky bits, then use it often (continuing to scrape off chunky bits between times) and wait for it to build up a... a... well, I don't know what it builds up, but something gets going that makes it easier. If you get it too clean, you'll have to reseason it and start all over again. Yes, it sounds digusting, but remember, these utensiles are from the olden days, (See photo you posted with blog.) before water.

And how do I know this? I'm really old! Trust me, Lou.

11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's the ticket! Get it dirty! Better yet, Get is FUNKY (FUN-Keh)!

Or next time, by one that's pre-seasoned. Old timey cookware with a modern panache.

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home