Sunday, March 05, 2006

Give thanks

My wife, son and I returned from a trip to the shoestore today (it's amazing how fast those litttle feet grow), to find a group of people in black suits standing in the courtyard below our apartment.

It's a scary sight to see groups in black at your home. After the initial wondering, I realized death was here.

Our landlord was one of the sweetest men I have ever known. He was always welcoming, always kind, always around with a knowing and wise face. He let us put my son's toys in his courtyard and gave him presents at the holidays.

We never knew he was sick until last week when he collapsed and was taken to the hospital for tests. He died friday.

today hiis son said that the lung cancer he had been living with had spread to his brain, causing extreme headches and ultimately, his death. We never knew.

I want to say something like "how fragile this all is", but if you understand that black, solemn wave of mourning people, you already know.

Thank you for welcoming us into your home, jay. It was a pleasure knowing you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home