Friday, March 03, 2006

Vonage Phone Service


I've been using Vonage voice-over IP since we moved out of our house. We had a killer home number, and Verizon wanted $120/yr. just to hold the thing until we got back. I said no, I don't think so.

So I hooked up with Adelphia cable for high-speed internet, signed up for $24.95/month unlimited nationwide calling, and ported my number over. Goodbye Verizon.

The service is, for the most part, fantastic. You get all of the features Verizon charges $90/month for, PLUS voicemails are sent to an email address, so you can listen to them anywhere you are and forward them to other people. The only problem is when the internet signal goes out (which in Adelphia's case is FAR too often) everyone says I sound like I'm underwater in an echo chamber. But overall, I think everyone should make the switch. Monopolies hurt everyone, especially me.

(I still use Skype for international calls. You can't beat their rates. I called someone in the Seychelles the other day, was on the phone for 10 minutes, and it cost me $2.50).

It's about time for this revolution. Ma Bell's been dead for years now, but nobody really wanted to believe it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home