Sunday, February 05, 2006

Thank God for Jim and Mark

This was a stellar afternoon. I tuned my bike while smoking a cigar, did the Times crossword, laid on the couch, cooked dinner...and watched The Superbowl in 2 1/2 hours.

You may say "so what", anyone can watch a football game; and you're right, this is no special feat. But what made it stellar was the ability to skip forward 30 seconds, WHICH, it turns out, is the exact length between plays in a football game. So I was able to skip past all the B.S. -- the huddle, the weird stats, those annoying ex-players-turned-sportscasters. And I timed my viewing so that I "caught up" with only a 1:30 left in the game. Time Mangement nirvana. This wouldn't have been possible without Jim Barton, one of the guys who invented Tivo. Thanks, Jim.

So who's Mark? Mark, AKA Bittman, is a brilliant, no-nonsense, ex-cabbie, minimalist cookbook author and TV host. He wrote a great cookbook last year with recipes from around the world that brings together all sorts of weird creations.

At about the time I started watching the SuperTivoBowl, I also started one of his recipes -- a slow-braised, Filipino Chicken Adobo. When the game was over, I finished the chicken on the grill and served it with some brown rice and sauteed Chinese Greens.

I'll take Superbowl Sunday anyday. Screw nachos.

1 Comments:

Blogger eric said...

i saved even more time. i didn't watch a single second of the game. not even the recap on the news. superbowl = super snooze fest.

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home