Thursday, December 29, 2005

A Humble Bow


I know I promised that I would stand at the bow of this massive ship every morning at 1230 PST. Apparently, 9/11 ruined a lot of things, especially guys waving their arms on the bow of ships for webcams -- that gift is now reserved only for crew members, who use it as an opportunity to escape the constant yammerings of ship guests like me.

I'm sitting in a cowboy bar on the island of St. Thomas at the moment, catching up with world and having a Carib beer before I sail off in a couple of hours -- for St Marteen, I think -- I've sorta lost track.

All in all, the cruising life is a pretty fantastic thing. I can see why many of the people onboard say this is the 10th or 20th cruise they have taken. We left Tortola last night at sunset, probably one of the most beautiful and friendliest of places I have ever been. I stood on the aft (back) deck, eating sushi (yes, sushi) with my wife as my son ran back and forth through the automatic doors and the waiters did sharp turns to avoid him. We pulled away from the dock, turned around on a dime and started skating, ever slowly, away from the small blue and white lights of the town. At that moment, I didn't feel like I was on a ship with 2,000 other people.

I'll give a more detailed review when I get back to servilization...right now, I'm having too much fun. I hope you are too.

Can't promise anything, but I may be editing in the computer lab tonight-- check the cam.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home