Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Maybe A Crank Will Do

With siding going up on the house, I'm turning my attention to more important things, like how many different places I can watch a movie in my new house. The whole issue of "TV in the master bedroom or not" came up for a second, but since my wife's a TV writer, I put a big check in that column and moved on.

Being a sensible fellow, I didn't just want to stick an LCD up on the far wall (I really hate the need for binoculars at home to read the crawl) so I thought of a better solution. I said to myself, "Self, why don't you get one of those motorized lifts and put it at the foot of the bed?" Pop up, pop down. Form and Function. Happy husband, happy wife.


When I owned a "digital contractor" company that designed systems for people's homes, we used these all the time. Besides being a bit slow, they were fantastic...and expensive...like $10,000. Well, it's a couple of years later, and the price (and weight) of plasma TVs have dropped considerably, but somehow, the price of these little lifts haven't dropped proportionately.

You can now pick up one of these suckers (frame only, no cabinetry) for about $1,800. Nice drop, you may say; but just to put it in perspective, for about $300 less, you can pickup a lift that will raise your car up 7'. Plasma lift: 51 lbs. and 2', Car lift: 8000 lbs. and 7' You do the math...no, I'll do it for you.

LCD lift: $35/lb.
Car Lift: $5/lb



Somehow, that "convenience cost" is a bit out of whack. If anyone has any old elevators (or maybe Grandma's Inclinator) lying around or have bright ideas for finding a solution, let me know.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll do it for you.

LCD Lift: $35/lb. or .03 lbs./$
Car Lift : $.19/lb. or 5 lbs./$

The car lift is an even better deal.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

thank god for mr stewart

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home