Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Whole Paycheck

Many of you may know of Whole Foods Markets. For those who don't, they are an upscale "organic" grocery store. Their mission statement: "to sell the highest quality foods we can find at the most competitive prices possible." More on this later.

They also have changed the idea of a deli counter from globs of mayonnaise potato salad to "tangy sesame-crusted salmon."


But wait, they're just getting started: "With each new store or renovation, we challenge ourselves to create more entertaining, theatrical, and scintillatingly appetizing Prepared Foods Departments." Now, I must say that I have, more than once, picked up a Thai Rotisserie Chicken and some Grilled Artichokes from the "PFD," but isn't it a bit pretentious and a tad antithetical to talk about organic food and theatrical, entertaining presentation in the same sentence?

Still, I could shop in a slightly confused, glitzy supermarket that doesn't know it's a supermarket if they had fresher lettuce than my local Ralphs (and they do; in fact, the dumpster behind the Burger King has fresher lettuce than Ralphs), but there's something else that's pissing me off.

Wild Oats is another organic market that was moving into L.A. around the same time as Whole Foods. They made a killer Sonoma Turkey Wrap and always seemed like they really cared about the community. Their stores were not as "entertaining" as WF, but I always had the feeling that the food there was fresh and organic, like a neighborhood grocer. I never thought of them as a supermarket.

Over the years, WF opened in many of WO's neighborhoods and, slowly drained customers away from there stores. In fact, at first glance, you can see how Whole Food's business acumen has propelled them to new dizzying heights while Wild Oats closes checkout lines due to fewer shoppers. (Whole Foods income last year was 137 million on 3.8 billion in sales; while, Wild Oats had a loss of $2.5 million on sales of 1 billion.)



I have another theory why Whole Foods is doing so well. I walked in today to get some cookies for everyone at the office. They looked really good, all brightly lit and laid out on their little shelves. Price: $1.50 Not even Bob Barker could announce that without a chuckle. For $1.50, I want my cookie to mate with other cookies and make little morsels. I want them to heat themselves in the toaster and invite their friend Mr. Milk over for a play date. I mean, come on.

It doesn't stop with the cookies. Sandwiches start at $6.00 for a slice of turkey on an over-sized roll. Sushi starts at $6.50 for a sliver of fish. Don't even get me started on the meats.

Point is, if you have a neighborhood market near you with friendly employees and good, fresh items (and even some mayonnaise potato salad), visit them instead of a hip place trying to sell you more than just food.

You'll feel better for it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lou said...

I didn't say I bought the cookies....And you can send me a fresh batch anytime. In fact, I'll even give some to the evolved employees at WF.

5:26 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

All please.

9:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home