Sunday, January 23, 2005

High Def and Changing TV

After 3 service calls by directv (where I had to tell them how to solve the problem) and 2 messy visits by me under my house stringing RG6, I finally have HD working full-tilt with all of my local (free) channels. I have a few observations:

1) HD is as significant a development in TV-land as stereo was in radio-land. It's not just that the picture is better. It's that the experience is better. M and I were watching "Chefs Afield" on KCET-HD and one of the hosts picked up a head of butter lettuce in a beautiful field. It looked so good it actually got me craving food. They then cut to a kitchen, where the same woman was grilling a steak. I could taste the garlic, chili pepper flake, olive oil spread she was basting over the meat. It didn't look like TV -- the image skipped by that part of my brain and attached itself to a strange sense of reality.

2) HD has changed the types of programs I watch. We were a Tivo family before HD came along, and though I love the ability to pick WHAT I want to watch WHEN I want to watch it, there's something magical about giving up control to someone (or something else) and discovering something new. Of course, this flies in the face of most market research clustering and quantitative equations. It also flies in the face of my current business venture, but that's for another day. Let's just say that when I finally do get an HD Tivo (perhaps when the price comes down from the current $1,000 robbery), I'll be both happy and sad.

3) HD has made me really wonder how George Kennedy ever got away with doing a love scene in Airport 79.


4) HD (and digital TV) will be THE next big technology, especially for the Hispanic population in the U.S. Forget about all of the crazy concepts out there, this one makes sense.

5) Bikini Destination and NFL football: I dare not say more, except that I probably would never watch these shows regularly (well, maybe BD, once...or twice).

6) The quality of HD will lead to a renaissance. It reminds me of an old Walt Disney quote from the 50's: "It is a curious thing that the more the world shrinks because of electronic communications, the more limitless becomes the province of the storytelling entertainer."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I watched the gardening show with you. I even watched Airport '79 in HD. (Charo, Jimmie Walker playing the sax, John Davidson and of course the George Kennedy love scene -- You didn' t think you could appreciate the movie Airplane more, but you'd be wrong.) So, my question is (and yes I do have one) when did you watch Bikini Destination and is there something equivalent? Of course, HD Speedo Destination would just be revolting.

9:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home