Thursday, January 13, 2005

Rice is Nice

I like rice -- with Chinese food, in Sushi -- give me a bowl with a dash of soy sauce, some sliced ginger and some toasted sesame seeds on top and I'm good for the afternoon. So, I was quite excited when a Japenese gentleman from Toshiba told me about the fuzzy logic rice cooker. Now I'm not a lazy person, but I always thought a rice cooker belonged behind the bar at Sushi House -- that is, until I got this as a present.


The Panasonic SR-MM10ns is quite simply, the sweetest piece of equipment in my kitchen (next to the Solis 70 Espresso maker). Clean the rice, pour in some water and with the press of a button, you've got fluffy, soft, yet meaty rice in 20 minutes.

Even better, Marsha, whom Julia Child once referred to as a "a personal scar on the face of the culinary arts" (but is getting much better) has figured out how to make 1-dish meals with the thing. She throws all the ingredients in and when she pops the top open, out comes a masterpiece. It's dinner ala Jetson's. Tomorrow I think we're having "Steamed Chicken Breasts with Warm Mango Sauce and Coconut Rice." Move outta the way, Jean-George, my wife's in the kitchen.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a big difference between this one and the simple ones with an on/off switch?

12:54 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

Wow, they must have some marketing genius there. I hope you get your cooker.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home