Saturday, December 25, 2004

Merry Christmas

There's been a lot of talk lately about how people saying "Merry Christmas" to Jews is offensive. I think everybody's entitled to their opinion and I do agree that Jews get the short end of the stick around December, along with muslims and buddhists, but I don't understand how it can be offensive to wish someone good.

This morning, I woke up and walked outside to get the paper. The sun had not yet come up (have a kid and you'll understand) and the air had that fresh, crisp, 'get back in the sleeping bag' feel to it. Someone had a fire going down the street and the rich fragrance of the wood burning made me imagine kids and parents in their pajamas standing around a tree and opening presents, sipping coffee.

I walked back inside and gave my kid a mini-waffle. Made some espresso. I sat down in front of his high-chair and watched him eat, his eyes darting back and forth between me and the red-yellow sky outside. No words. Peace.

I do this almost everyday, but this day is different. I can't explain why. Maybe it's a feeling that in many places around the world, people just like me are thinking the same thing. The collective soul. That's something that exists above religion and tradition and culture.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good flight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home