Friday, December 17, 2004

The Brave New World of HDTV

Now that I've got my bitchin' wicked Plasma set, I'm looking for HD service.

DirecTV has some pretty good offers going, but for their HD Tivo, they're asking $1,000 bucks. That's a bit ridiculous, don't ya think? I'm an early adopter and all, but the box probably costs them $100 to make and they're gonna dump Tivo next year and replace it with their own box, at which point my box would become antiquated.

This is the kind of manipulative, unethical business practices that lead people to hate corporations, and, at this point, I'm thinking really bad thoughts about an old Australian monopolist with conservative views.

That said, as I'm looking at the options and deciding whether or not I want to subject myself to the trials of installing it myself (the TV weighs 150lbs.), I've come across some very cool tools. this shows detailed info. about broadcast service within your area. Pretty interesting. The most curious thing I found was 12 applications for HD transmitters in Tijuana, Mexico. Now, I don't know about you, but when I think of TJ, I don't think of early adopters. Can you say DHS?

Stay tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home