Wednesday, November 17, 2004

A NEW FAVORITE

When I visit a new place, I usually fall in love with the local public radio station. Perhaps it's something about the thrill of travel or the freedom from the known. Some of my favorites include KKCR in Kauai. Marsha and I discovered it on a trip a few years ago. We would listen to the eclectic mix of traditional and new music on the way back from a rain forest hike and always have a good smile. And KMXT in Kodiak, which would fade in and out as the boat I was working on quietly sliced up the Intercoastal. And then, of course, there's KOTO in Telluride with their Community Carpool and it's strong sense of Consciousness. But I think I have a new favorite and I discovered it without even stepping foot outside my door.

WWOZ in New Orleans just plays the best damn Jazz and World Roots Music I've ever heard. Every song that comes on is better than the last. I don't know where they found their DJ's but I would love to sit down over a bowl of Jambalaya and hear their stories. As they say in the Quarter, "soc au' lait."




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home