Thursday, August 18, 2005

Honey, There's a Tractor in the Living Room



Well, after some minor delays, at 10:39AM yesterday my house became a pile of mulch -- a pile of very expensive mulch. A gaucho excavator named Manny climbed onboard his trusty yellow steed and proceeded to jump up and down on my house like it was Bozo at a trampoline party. If I had not been focusing so much on the somewhat queasy feeling in my stomach and my inability to blink, I may have better appreciated the art with which he shredded our 50 year old house in 45 minutes, all while dangling a cigarette from his mouth.

Most people ask me how I felt watching it happen. I'll tell you: I felt like crap, like I was perhaps making the biggest mistake of my life (even though I know I'm not). Between moments of detached voyeurism -- like watching a car crash about to happen and not being able to turn your head -- thoughts of "hey, wait a minute. This is my house!" jumped into my mind, only to be replaced moments later by the reality that it was too late to turn back now -- like speeding up before a turn -- so I might as well enjoy the ride and hope I don't crash.

I left as they started picking up my mulch-house and loading it into a dumpster. A few hours later, after all the workmen had gone for the day, I unlocked the chain link fence and walked the property. All that's left is some grass, the little shed I built for the cats that came along with my wife, and the large Sycamore tree that now looms larger than ever over the entire yard.

I wish I had millions of dollars so I could just keep the property exactly this way -- not build a house and make it a park for all the local kids to come play in. I think my old house would have liked it that way.

I started back to my car and reached into my pocket to fish out my keys. I noticed that I still had the key to my front door on the ring. I stood there for a second, staring at the lot, listening to the birds chirp and a dog bark from down the street. I took the key off of the ring, dropped it on the ground and covered it with some dirt, reminding myself that you should only keep what you really need -- everything else should be left behind.

(photo courtesy of Bret H. Thanks for the great shots!)

2 Comments:

Blogger eric said...

video. i want to see video. in all those shots bret took of you, i saw the HD camera.
at least slap together a rough cut and get it up on the intarwebber. words and photos no longer suffice in this age of disruptive media, ESPECIALLY WHEN IT COMES TO THE MOST DISRUPTIVE OF ALL: BULLDOZERS.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

I'll tell ya what, you come down and transfer the stuff for me....and while you're at it, iron my shirts and change Ben's diaper.

6:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home