Tuesday, July 26, 2005

De-Construction


Well, next week we move out of our house and a couple of weeks later it will be demolished. Very sad to see it go, but I keep thinking Hakuna Matata, the Circle of Life and all that stuff.

Since the new house is going to force me to have to work until I am as old as Dick Clark, we've been trying to sell as much of the current house as possible: light fixtures, doors, refrigerator, garage door opener, toilets. It's like the Day After Christmas Sale at Wal Mart around here.

Craig's List has been wonderful in getting the word out. It makes ebay look like the DMV. I also like the way it has brought me closer to my community. We've met a lot of very interesting people from all walks of life, all looking for a little something to make their own homes brighter.

It makes me feel good that a lot of our house will become a part of other people's lives. Much better than it all being thrown in trucks and hauled off to a dump. My wife just told me that Habitat for Humanity will take any materials we want to give them -- they just won't take it out.

It's going to take me longer, but after we move out, I think I'm going to invite a few friends over and remove as much as I can. Anyone with a Sawzall, a little repressed anger and a passion to knock the hell out of a house for a good cause is invited. Let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home