Sunday, April 10, 2005

I Want a Windmill

I was watching Teletubbies this afternoon with Ben. I have to admit, there was a time I loved those overgrown carpet samples, but now, I want to strangle Tinky Winky and his little friends. I know experts say that it's a good developmental tool, but I think my kid is going to grow up and take drugs just so he can see that vacuum cleaner with the buggy eyes.

For those of you who are fortunate enough to have not seen Teletubbies, it starts with the Teletubbies jummping around their little land like it's 1999 and then one of them gets switched on and a documentary video starts playing, usually about some kids in remote reaches of the world.

This afternoon's visit was with 2 very cool English kids who took us on a tour of their dad's windmill -- worn-out ladders, sacks of grain crushed by the grist wheel, lots of exposed brick and plaster.

Now I have a lot of material things in my life -- a car, a house, various electronic gadgets -- but none of them compare to that windmill. I don't know if it's my own flashback to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or just a desire for simpler things, but I know this...those British kids sure are lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home