Sunday, March 13, 2005

Brilliant Surprise

It's so nice when you receive something unexpectedly. Such was the case this Saturday morning. A client who's a music director/supervisor at a record company here in L.A. sent a mix CD of some new music that's around. Now I've become a bit boring actually in the realm of musical variety; in fact, I would say that between my playlists on the iPOD and the programmed, repetitive drool they play on all the Clear Channel and Infinity stations, the only way I hear something new is if it's from the Jerry Garcia impersonator on the street corner near Third Street Promenade.

So I was quite excited when I put the CD in the DVD player and started it off. Listening to other people's mixes is sorta like reading someone's writing -- it's an ever-unwinding journey that you have to give yourself to.

Most of the songs were a bit off what I would usually like, but they were fresh and crisp and really well produced. About four tracks into the mix I had to pack up the fam and head out to the Valley (that'll be in tomorrow's blog), so I took the CD into Marsha's car and spent 5 minutes trying to get it into the CD changer -- for the amount of money they charge for that car, you would think BMW would be smart enough to put the CD changer in a better place than the friggin' boot (that's trunk for you yanks). Just goes to show you that money doesn't always buy the best thing.

Anyway, Track 6 proved to be the clincher. If you've never heard her, go out right now and get Angela McCluskey's tunes. She's a mix of Macy Gray and Bessie Smith and Joss Stone and hell, anyone who's ever opened their mouth and sang in a way that made your jaw drop. It was only after looking her up that I realized she sang for The Wild Colonials. Pure, sweet butter. That's all I can say.

So my advice to you -- my funny Internet friends -- is to get outside of your routine a little and see where in your life you can find something new. If it comes in a package to your door, great; otherwise, open your ears and look around -- it's out there -- and it is sweet.

4 Comments:

Blogger eric said...

umm, you are a yank. boot is not a trunk, it is a verb meaning "puke".

1:12 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

Yes, I am a yank...but last night I was with a friend from England and a chick from Belgium and the whole foreign accent thing got going...very hard to shake at 1:30AM

1:18 PM  
Blogger Lou said...

That song rocks. Couldn't understand one word they were saying but WOW!

1:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

where be the havalinas these days

heh

how is yer flat doing ?

heh

boom

12:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home