Thursday, February 17, 2005

Context

I had never been to Austin, Texas. I had mixed feelings about going. Ever since George Jr. took office, I’ve associated the Lone Star State with W. It somehow went from being a core part of the country to being an isolated, strange cousin from overseas. Well, since the Democrats (and everyone else) got their behinds kicked in the last election, I realize that I am the strange relative; so I better start understanding the “others” or I won’t have anything to say.

So, when I walked off the plane into Austin’s cavernous terminal, I was more than pleasantly surprised to hear a live Texas Rock band playing (pedal steel, mandolin, harmonica) and see a beautiful Collings Custom acoustic guitar in the window of an Austin City Limits Store.

My ride was running late, so I had some time to look around and soak in the Good ol Texas feeling. Interesting, the airport has a rule that only local stores can have concessions in the concourse. Very down home. Memories of W. were washing away.

Though my sponsor was a transplant, he still had the mannerism that was oh-so-Texas. He drove me around the beltway that surrounds the city (I hear downtown is nice, especially the bats under the bridge) to his house in an upscale suburb, where we fed his two dogs and talked about oak burn rates.

After enough time, we got back on the road and eventually ended up at The Oasis, a multi-level restaurant/bar on the edge of man-made Lake Travis, one of the high-lights of an Austin experience.

It was here that I met “The Boys.”

In another era, I had worked at The Walt Disney Company, around the time Michael Eisner began rebuilding everything and re-branding Mickey. My first office had been on the first floor of the Old Animation Building, surrounded by artists and colorists.

I remember one day when we (the new creative exec. team) went over to visit WED (Walt’s initials), which was Disney’s “Imagineering” department where concepts were developed for the movies or the Disney Parks. This place was made up of a bunch of engineers, many of whom had worked side by side with Walt for decades. Though they were pretty old and the place was just beginning to come into the future (think no computers), you could tell that these seemingly over-the-hill guys were actually light-years ahead of what everybody else was doing. (Marty Sklar is one of the only guys still around and he’s brilliant). It was like being in a room with the original Space Cowboys, the Apollo astronauts, 40 years later -- still as sharp as when they first climbed into capsules and hurled themselves into space.

Well, “The Boys” lived up to their potential and more. I can’t go into much detail on who they are or what they do, but that’s not what’s really important. What matters is that they use their abilities as scientists, engineers, and mathmaticians to answer questions and solve problems -- they use their strengths to make the world a better place.

Now any preoccupation with something for too long will usually lead people to some wonderful places, but it also makes for some really interesting character traits -- I like to call them “accessories.”

The most brilliant of “The Boys” is a Dr. named Al who, among other things, has an accessory fascination with "Mooses."

His logic is that transportation should be an extension of your home -- you should be able to do anything you like where ever you like -- so why not on the road? “Moose II” as he dubbed it, was a custom-built, 6 battery Diesel behemoth with Red and White leather seats and a backup camera. The thing was classic. Now that I think of it, I should have asked if I could have slept in it instead of the La Quinta Inn mentioned in yesterday’s post.

The rest of the guys were equally as interesting and definitely had a unique approach to life and work. The lesson for younger generations, especially in the technology business, is to never judge someone by their age -- in fact, people who were around before computers and advanced technology permeated everyday life have something we, the younger generation, can never have -- context. Context defines purpose, and purpose is something no form of research or market prowess can give you.

Fast-forward 20 hours. I’m back in the airport, strolling the souvenir stand. A different band is playing on stage. I’m debating what to get my wife and son from my travels. A Bull-head shot glass? A bottle of BBQ sauce? I always like to get something for them if I have the time. I shoot past miniature toy trucks to a picture of the Texas flag. My mind clicks to bad thoughts about W. No, Marsha wouldn’t like the flag. If only they made toy "Mooses" for my son. Now that would be new.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Austin is much more liberal than the rest of the state. In fact, Travis County actually voted for Kerry in a state that was largely pro-Bush.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home