Friday, March 11, 2005

Give Thanks

I'm feeling philosophical so forgive the following:

In my busy life, it's really easy to go through the day and not say thank you to the many people who help me along the way. I'm not talking about "thanks" as in to GOD. I'm talking about something simpler and yet a little more meaningful.

I was thinking the other day about what the most satisfying type of work is for me. It's not completing some great task or having my vision seen by thousands or perhaps millions of people -- it's doing something that affects one person in some way. It doesn't really matter how much money I get for it; just as long as I make a positive impact on someone.

And the same is true the other way. There are so many people whose lot in life it is to help other people -- doctors, teachers, artists -- yes, even some lawyers. But it's so easy to look at them as people in jobs rather than just people. Well, we pay them; so there's no need to thank them. But you've got to wonder what compels some to work in often difficult fields; I guess it really doesn't matter -- the important thing is that they do.

With all the trouble going on in our country and around the world, I guess the trick is to look at what we do -- in our jobs, our relationships and our everyday life -- and see how to say thank you to those who matter and make ourselves worthy of having someone say the same to us.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're welcome, Lou!

Heh

8:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home