Monday, October 01, 2007

Middle Age Crisis or Stupidity?

When a man reaches 40 (and you will notice I use the term A MAN here as I am certainly not referring to ME or my rapid decline into the shadow of life).... Anyways, like I was saying, when a man reaches 40, certain changes occur -- things drop, things expand, and everything starts to look a little blurry and center around food. Contrary to most reports, there is very little reflection about taking the wrong path in life or other esoteric musings of madmen; instead, there is an understanding of some sort of wisdom, like those grey-haired gorillas in the forest who get pounced upon by young, feces-hurling prodigies and still maintain a straight face.

But I digress....

Along with this zen-like calm comes a testing-point, like Dirty Harry in Chinatown, where one knows that they could beat the shit out of something IF they wanted to. But you don't actually need to. gritty machoism.

Me, I have one exception to this stoic way of being -- mountainbiking. It's the only time that I get to the point where I say to myself, "Self, what the hell are you thinking." It's where things come too fast and hard to react. No thoughts about health insurance or station in life...Pure Instinct.

I read a story today about some idiot (photo below) who decided to face this beast by mountainbiking down a ski slope -- at 130 miles per hour (212km/h) . I must admit, the guy has got balls, but there's a point, isn't there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home