Friday, June 10, 2005

Bon Voyage

I spent the better part of the day dealing with people about to leave on trips. Now when I think of going on a trip, I am overtaken by a sense of adventure and discovery; unfortunately, preparing for travel does not bring out the best in everyone.

Perhaps it is the tremendous baggage that most people now take with them that adds a feeling of responsibility and, dare I say, danger to the journey. What if my notebook computer won't work in Turkey? What if I can't get my email from Australia? What if I don't read that report binder on the plane? It all adds up to a feeling of anxiety -- a fear of loss -- and God help you if, like me, you are around someone in this state.

I must admit, I do the same thing myself. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled the car over or stopped the cab 10 minutes from my house because I was sure that I left my passport somewhere. Of course, I hadn't, but it was the threat that scared me more than anything.

Maybe it's a hard-wired sense that takes over -- something left over from childhood when we went to sleep without our blankie or when our parents went away for a couple of days and left us with cousin Edna. Uncertainty.

Whatever it is, it's B.S.

Tonight, M and I went to Musso & Frank's with our friends Brian and Carol. B & C WERE from Bermuda. They retired early and set off on a round the world trip of travel and adventure, including a flying safari in Australia where they rode in small planes around Down Under. They stopped off here, in our town, just to spend time with us and Ben.

Even though they have big suitcases, they really only need each other. They don't plan on returning to Bermuda, at least not to live, and sort of have a "well, we'll see what's what" attitude about each day. They don't worry if they don't have a report or if their computer will work in a certain place. If it doesn't, they deal with it when they can.

This got me thinking about John Adams, one of America's Founding Fathers who spent most of his adult life living overseas and away from his wife, family and country. During one of his Atlantic crossings, he had to take control of the ship when the Captain so mismanaged the boat that everyone onboard, including Adams and his young son John Quincy, were almost killed. Could he have prepared for that? I don't think so.

Try this the next time you have to go somewhere -- on a long trip or a short drive to work or a walk to the bathroom. Don't think. Just go. Don't worry, don't try to control. Just open your eyes, point yourself in a direction and take a step. Pay attention to what you see. Pay attention to what comes along. I think you'll find that it makes the trip a lot more enjoyable for you and everyone around you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home