Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Puffed Rice

It can't be that hard. I look at Rice Krispys and Pirate's Booty (side note: I can dust off a bag in 10 minutes on a BAD day) and rice cakes and all that stuff and I think to myself -- self, you can make popcorn. Why can't you make puffed rice at home?

So this led me to investigating, and investigating I did. According to many accounts, puffed rice was first discovered by an American biochemist at the beginning of the 20th Century who got bored and stuffed some rice into an old cannon and voila! puffed rice was born.

Nowadays, there are big "guns" that shoot the rice at high pressure and heat. Not really suitable for West L.A. life (might work on the East side).

Through my investigations, I discovered this gem of a site called the hungrybrowser archives where people ask obscure questions related to food and this guy answers. He takes his job very seriously. Great grass-roots internet stuff.

Meanwhile, I'm loading up the shotgun in the backyard.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ian said...

In India they use some strange process involving soaking the rice in water and then mixing it in a pot full of sand. I don't really know what's going on either.

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
I am trying to make Puffed Rice at home in my Microwave oven. But the output always 'burned rice'.
Please guide me the process to prepare Puffed Rice in Microwave oven with detail steps.
dsarkhel@ntpc.co.in

7:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you try using an air popcorn maker?

7:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try oven drying cooked rice on a low heat. Then frying in shallow oil. Do so in batches and drain on kitchen towels to soak up the oil.

7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LIVED IN TAIWAN TWO YEARS. A GUY ON A BICYCLE HAD A MACHINE THAT PUFFED RICE FOR US. IT WAS ABOUT THE SIZE OF A FOOTBALL, MADE OF CAST IRON AND ROTATED OVER AN OPEN FLAME. HAD A PRESSURE GUAGE AND MANUALLY MAINTAINED PRESSURE BY CONTROLLING HEAT. AFTER ABOUT EIGHT MINUTES THE LID WAS POPPED OPEN INTO A COVERING GUNNY SACK AND WITH A LOUD EXPLOSION-PUFFED RICE! A CUP OF RICE WOULD MAKE ABOUT 2 1/2 CUBIC FEET.

4:02 PM  
Blogger sabnam said...

i too saw this process in china chongqing ...i was shocked that time... i buied it ( 10 yuan ) it was too much...

1:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home