Thursday, September 14, 2006

Ok, now I can tell you

I've been carrying a secret around for the past month or so and it's been killing me. Apparently everybody else knows about it now so I can tell you.

There's a pretty expensive piece of stereo equipment out there called a Sonos music system. The unit basically takes all of that music from CDs and internet radio and puts it through your house (or apartment) in a really simple and magically wonderful way. This was great for playing all those CDs that were ripped into iTunes, but it didn't play protected songs, like the ones you would buy from the Apple iTunes store.

So a month ago, my friend at Sonos asked if I wanted to be part of a Beta program. Seems that Sonos had found a pretty awesome way to get Rhapsody, the $10/month "all you can eat" music system into the Sonos system. This basically meant that I had access to over 2,000,000 songs. It also meant that I could throw away my CD collection (except for "The Sons of Ralph" from Bob.

Turning this sucker on was like opening up my brain and stepping back into the primordial music of my past. I did the requisite Bob Marley and John Mayer and Etta James, but then I moved into other genres and areas. My in-laws came in for a week and a half, and I put on some Loving Spoonfull...because I could. Wow, that was surprisingly good.

My bro and his brood came over on Sunday and turned the sucker on. He blasted the neighbors with some Grace Jones and John Coltrane and some other stuff.

I cooked dinner listening to Lewis Black's performance at Carnegie Hall and sent Barney's Broadway tunes to my son's room.

This thing rocks. Trade in your iPods and give it a try.

Wow, I feel better now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home